EXPLORE NYC is a hands-on science exhibit that brings the exploration of nature and science to the streets. Elements include:
- a custom-designed cart and benches for seating;
- specimens to explore, including rocks, feathers, bones, moss, water samples, and more;
- a nature-sounds listening station;
- microscopes and magnifying glasses;
- water-color pencils, brushes, and instructions about techniques of biological drawing;
- a nature rubbing activity;
- science books to read;
- staff, volunteers, and educators to facilitate.
The program has been developed in partnership with the Harlem-based HYPOTHEkids, a K-12 nonprofit science organization.
Have a question?
Blog posts about EXPLORE NYC:
On Sat, June 2, the Uni Project created a special, pop-up reading room for Union Square Park. We put together a collection focused on sustainability and urban nature, and we also deployed our EXPLORE program, inviting people to learn more about urban birds and speak...read more
On Friday, May 18, we brushed aside some tricky weather and deployed a portable reading room and EXPLORE science exhibit to a NYC DOT Weekend Walk, hosted by the Rockaway Business Alliance. Part of our approach to working in public space is to show up rain or shine if...read more
On Saturday, May 11, we deployed a portable reading room and EXPLORE science exhibit to a NYC DOT Weekend Walk, hosted by the Rockaway Business Alliance. Thanks to our partners NYC DOT and HYPOTHEkids. These photos are licensed under a Creative Commons...read more