SOLVE NYC is a hands-on puzzle station, with unique, hand-made, and unusual puzzles of all kinds. Designed for New Yorkers of all ages and always free, elements include:
- Tangrams and other puzzles that challenge people’s math and spatial reasoning abilities;
- printed cards with activities conceived by mathematicians, scientists, and other organizations;
- puzzle books;
- a custom-designed cart that stores, moves, and displays the collection (which can be closed and locked in place), and eight benches for seating;
- staff to set up and run the program (one program staff member and one manager);
- an option for other organizations to participate by adding special collections and activities.
Here’s what happens: people see the puzzles on display and approach, drawn in by their curiosity. As they explore and attempt each puzzle, groups of people gather around and cheer them on. People love the experience of challenging themselves and engaging in something that is hands-on and non-digital. This program has been deployed only once before (to Putnam Triangle Plaza in Brooklyn in 2017), but is ready for more.
Blog posts about SOLVE NYC:
Today, we launch a special series of pop-up installations serving West Harlem. First stop: Sheltering Arms Pool, where our BUILD NYC program (interactive building stations, playful materials, design challenges) will land every Friday through...
On Thursday, Oct 20 the Uni joined a city-wide celebration of Food Day called the "Big Apple Crunch” at La Marqueta on East 116th St. Thanks to our host and partner New Harlem East Merchants’ Association, with a special shout out to NHEMA's...
The Uni has been at Playground 103 in East Harlem to reach kids and families living nearby at NYCHA East River Houses. Our work here is in partnership with NYC Parks in support of the Community Parks Initiative, and tomorrow is our final...