WRITE NYC – launching 2019!
WRITE NYC will launch in 2019, providing a place to gather and write with high quality tools and materials, and offering diverse examples of poetry, letters, and other forms of writing to inspire passersby. The program builds on writing activities that have been a part of our READ program since 2011. Elements include:
- a custom-designed cart, with areas for display and benches for seating;
- pens, postcards, stationery, typewriters, and other materials and tools for writing;
- self-guided activities contributed by writers and writing organizations;
- writers-in-residence, working alongside the public;
- a collection of books and other writing samples;
- a communal portfolio/display of writing by New Yorkers;
- staff, volunteers, and teaching artists to facilitate.
The program is being developed in partnership with Therese Cox, a Ph.D. Candidate in English & Comparative Literature and Heyman Center Public Humanities Fellow at Columbia University.
Prompts for WRITE NYC will be based on the same model used in our DRAW NYC program, which invites artists, illustrators, educators: share a prompt that will inspire New Yorkers to draw.
To become a supporter or partner of WRITE NYC, contact Leslie Davol.
Help us launch WRITE NYC in 2019!
WRITE NYC will travel across New York City with a special focus on underserved neighborhoods where art and education resources can be scarce. Your donation can help us share these great materials in all neighborhoods of New York City.